Dog Saves Family from Gas Leak After Family Saved Dog
One month after a Georgia family rescued a dog that was about to be put down, that dog returned the favor by saving the family and neighbors from a potentially harmful gas leak.
Kailey, a three-year old Shepherd mix, was on the verge of being euthanized after spending a year on the adoption list without finding a permanent home.
“Her one issue was that something has happened to her in in her past so that if you try to touch her and she did not know you she would snap at you,” explains Jacqueline Berlin, who fostered Kailey for a few months. “Because of her issue it was really hard to get her adopted.”
In a last-minute effort to find a home for Kailey, Berlin wrote a Facebook post, imploring those with an introverted personality to take home a dog they could relate to. The post ended up having the desired effect on Suzy Chandler, who read it and decided to bring Kailey home to her family.
“The story of what she had been through and it just pulled on our heartstrings, we just thought we would be the perfect people for her,” explains Chandler. “It was a perfect match.”
Last week, Kailey suddenly started barking and growling at Chandler. She took the dog outside, where Kailey started pulling Chandler towards the side of her house. Soon it became apparent to Chandler that her new dog had dragged her to a gas leak.
“Right away I smelled overpowering gas and a loud whooshing sound,” she recalls. Concerned about her family and neighbors, especially a nearby apartment complex where many kids live, Chandler called 911 so the leak could be investigated.
“I just don’t take the chances on people lives like this, it is a dangerous situation,” Chandler says. The leak has since been fixed before it could cause any harm.
Chandler views the incident as a reason for more people to adopt pets that would otherwise be put down. “If you have the space, you have room in your heart to take in a needy animal, to love on them,” she says. “It comes back to you tenfold.”